ORDINANCES, RESOLUTIONS, & PROCLAMATIONS
Council Policy for Reviewing Public Requests for Proclamations
PURPOSE: To establish policies, guidelines, and procedures for responding to public requests for proclamations.
POLICY: It is the policy of the Council to consider requests to proclaim certain events or causes, when such proclamations positively impact the community and convey an affirmative message to Lacey residents. Proclamations that are political in nature, that are controversial, or that likely would not enjoy a high level of community interest and support, are discouraged.
The following guidelines and requirements apply to requests for consideration of proclamations:
- The person (s) making the request should be a Lacey resident(s).
- The request should be made at least four weeks in advance of a regularly scheduled Council meeting.
- A local citizen should agree to be in attendance to accept the proclamation.
- The city retains the right to modify, edit, or otherwise amend the proposed proclamation to meet its requirements, needs, or policy determinations.
- The City of Lacey retains the right to decide if the proclamation will be issued or not.
1. The person (s) making the request must submit a completed Application Requesting a City Proclamation and submit a copy of the proposed proclamation. A sample proclamation is attached to the application to provide format suggestions.
2. The Mayor, City Manager and/or staff designee will determine if the proposed proclamation meets the intent of this policy. When there is uncertainty in making this determination, the Mayor will consult with the General Government Committee for their guidance.
3. Once approved, the proclamation will be added to the appropriate City Council agenda.
4. If not approved, the applicant will be notified of the decision and the reason(s) for the decision.
Download Application to Request City Proclamation