CITY OF LACEY PREPARES FOR WINTER WEATHER
LACEY, WA, February 8, 2019: City of Lacey Maintenance crews are preparing to respond to the National Weather Service’s Winter Weather Advisory. The advisory will remain in effect from this afternoon through Saturday afternoon, as the storm is expected to bring two to four inches of snow to our area.
“Our crews will be on hand 24-hours through the weekend to ensure our roads remain safe for our citizens. We will be plowing, applying de-ice, or spreading sand as needed,” said Shawn Cunha, with the streets maintenance department.
During a snow storm, city crews work very hard to clear and maintain designated priority routes to accommodate emergency services. When priority routes are clear, secondary routes are addressed to provide improved access for transit, schools, and commuters. If snowfall is continuous, priority routes may require repeated plowing and secondary route plowing may be delayed. A map of the primary and secondary routes is available at www.ci.lacey.wa.us/winter-weather.
Keep in mind the following tips to drive safely:
• Drive for conditions―use slower speeds, acceleration, steering, and braking.
• Use your headlights.
• Four- and all-wheel drive vehicles will not stop or steer better in icy conditions than two-wheel drive vehicles.
• Leave extra room between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. And remember, big trucks take longer to stop.
• Slow down when approaching intersections, off-ramps, bridges, or shady spots.
• If traffic signals are out, treat intersection as a four-way stop.
For more information on the City of Lacey’s winter weather response plan, visit www.ci.lacey.wa.us/winter-weather.