Public Records Request
About Public Records Requests
Responding to Public Records Requests
In compliance with RCW 42.56.520, the City will respond to a public
records request within five business days of receipt by one of the following options.
- Provide the record(s), for inspection and/or copying of the record after payment of any applicable fees (see Fee Schedule below);
- Provide an internet address and link to the record(s) on the agency's website;
- Acknowledge your request and give you a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to respond;
- Acknowledge the request and seek clarification to the greatest extent possible, and provide an estimate of time to respond if not clarified; or,
- Deny the request in writing with reasons for the denial (this could also include a denial of part of your request and granting of the remainder). If a request is denied, a written statement will be provided with the specific exemption authorizing the withholding of the record or section, and a brief explanation of how the exemption applies to the record withheld.
A reasonable estimate of time necessary to respond is based on the need to:
- Request clarification of an unclear request
- Locate and assemble the information requested
- Notify persons or agencies affected by the request
- Determine whether any of the information is exempt from disclosure
- Request a deposit before copying or scanning records
The City of Lacey determined by Order Covering Charges for Public Records Requests, signed by the City Manager on January 16, 2018, that it would be unduly burdensome for City staff to calculate actual costs for each and every record request to which records are responsive, given the large volume of requests received by the City and limited staff available to fulfill such requests. Therefore, the City has adopted the default charges set forth in RCW 42.56.120.
- No charge
- Photocopy of paper records, or printed (paper) copies of electronic records, or use of City's equipment to photocopy public records:
- 15 cents per page
- Records scanned into an electronic format, or use of City's equipment to scan the records:
- 10 cents for page
- Files and attachments uploaded to email, cloud-based data storage services, or other means of electronic delivery:
- 5 cents for each 4 electronic files or attachments
- Files and attachments transmitted in an electronic format, or the use of City's equipment to send the records electronically:
- 10 cents per gigabyte
- Digital storage media or device provided by the City:
- Actual cost
- Container or envelope used to mail the copies:
- Actual cost
- Postage or delivery charges:
- Actual cost
Large requests exceeding $25 requires a deposit up to 10% of estimated costs before proceeding with fulfilling request.
The charges above may be combined to the extent more than one type of charge applies to copies responsive to a particular request.
If the City makes a request available on a partial or installment basis, the City may charge for each part of the request as it is provided. If an installment of a records request is not claimed or reviewed, the agency is not obligated to fulfill the balance of the request.
The City may also include a customized service charge if the request requires the use of information technology expertise to prepare data compilations, or provide customized electronic access services when such compilations and customized access services are not used by the City for other purposes.
Payments are required in advance, and can be made by cash, money order, or check made payable to the City of Lacey.
Frequent Questions About Public Records Requests